Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tao of Pooh

I loved the Tao of Pooh! I’m currently taking VCU’s Taoism class with Brian Deane, who used to use this book for his class but stopped using it for some reason and I’ve really wanted to read it so I’m glad I found an excuse to fit it in wit all my school readings. After learning most of what was presented in this book earlier this semester I really enjoyed looking at it through another lens. When the book refers to the American Culture as the Busy Backson, I believe that this is a perfect interpretation of western culture. As the Taoist believe in Wu Wei they do view Americans as going against the way of nature by keeping their minds constantly preoccupied with constant tasks, this is concept is also presented in The Writings of Chuang Tzu in Book One, Section Three called “Nourishing the Lord of Life” This view is correct, as if the westerners were to go with the way of nature and become one with the Tao they would be happier with life. Taoism does appear to be the solution to the problem of American life. Americans spend way to much time worrying, ad a very small amount of them actually appear to be happy as we are programmed to be obsessed with work and money. Taoists don’t worry about these things. While Americans fight with nature, trying to control where they go, their lives and how everything works, Taoist work with nature, they go with the flow of things. If something in a pan for the day goes wrong, to Americans the day is ruined but to the Taoist the day is still awesome because obviously it wasn’t meant to happen that day. If more Americans adopt the Taoist point of  view and way of approaching life they would be happier with their lives and wouldn’t consume their lives with work, which when you die is pointless. Americans could be so much happier with their lives if they were to sit back and allow things to happen naturally instead of trying to control everything and everyone around them.

6 comments:

  1. While many Americans could possibly be happier following the teachings of Taoism, what about those who actually find joy in the everyday hustle and bustle of life? If anything Taoism would be considered a nuisance to them. In a sense, Taoism could be viewed as a solution and problem to some Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also excited to read this book when I was first assigned it in a previous course; I am really interested in the eastern religions, and had received prior recommendations about this book, so I enjoyed the assignment :-p
    I like how you said: "If something in a pan for the day goes wrong, to Americans the day is ruined but to the Taoist the day is still awesome because obviously it wasn’t meant to happen that day."
    This is something I have struggled with (more so in the past), that I am STILL working on. I understand that it is not worth ruining the entire day, but I also understand that controlling emotions is hard. I think I can agree with what our professor said about how when we don't express our emotions when needed, we kind just build them up, and when they are released its very intense. What I try to do, is when I get upset/angry, I try to understand why, and change the way I think/feel about it. That way I don't suppress the emotions, but I can understand them and understand myself better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you included how Americans always try to fight with nature. That is a great point to make. I remember Dr. Raznik talking about forest fires in our class and how we try to fight them and cut forests to stop them, and Mexico just lets them happen. America has worst forest fires because we don't just let it happen. We cannot mess with the way things are supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took Brian Dean's course on Taoism last semester, and I was sure we would get to read the Tao of Pooh. I was totally disappointed when we spent half the semester stick fighting instead of reading... anyway, I agree with you - it's great to get to read the book and relate it to the concepts we covered in Rasnic's class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completley agree with you that we are raised in this culture to be "bisy backsons". It is true we are a culture that is obsessed with money and power. Like you said American's spend so much time worrying that they are not truly happy. Taoiists believe in going with the flow of nature and things will happen accordingly. If Americans were able to do this life would be much more carefree but we need to change as individuals first to implement this concept in the future so the American Society can start slowing down and not be so engrossed with work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thw Wu Wei, I really like that term. I do believe that people should be as an uncarved block, so that they can really be themselves. They will be able to be free of drama, evil thoughts and all.

    ReplyDelete